Thursday, September 28, 2006

Luis's Last Stand


It is usually the rule here to be snarky and mean (I know we have to work with what we do best), but today I am feeling sad. Luis Gonzalez is about to commence his final homestand as an Arizona Diamondback. He is by all accounts just a great guy, and while I believe that it is a good baseball decision to let him go, it still sucks. This is just a stupid little post to say good-bye. By the way, a very cool little story in the Republic today about how Jerry ended up with the ball Luis hit to win the 2001 World Series.

Homer

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that it's a good baseball move. It's not 2001 anymore and we've got a lot of talent waiting in the wings.

But I also agree that he's a great guy and will be missed. Earlier this season Brandt and I went and saw the Diamondback whup up on the Reds. We sat in the outfield and every top of the inning this little kid would hollar for Luis Gonzales. At the end of the top of the 9th Luis turned around and gave the kid, who was no more than 3, his wristbands and batting glove. It was small, but it was a HUGE deal to that kid and his dad. Maybe Luis did partake in a little performance enhancing cocktail, but it is his character that makes him a standout. He'll be missed.

Anonymous said...

blah blah blah sports talk blah.

I'll be at Gonzo's last game. And you know what I'll be doing? Eating pizza, cotton candy, a hot dog, and maybe even a licorice whip.

We should have more players leave so Care Bear can take me to another game, and I can stuff my face again before the season's out.

Anonymous said...

Heartless wench. I hope you marry an enrollment counselor and are cursed to apartment dwelling for the rest of your days.