Sunday, September 30, 2007

Cultural Awareness Week Begins!! Today: Mexican Sunday

In order to jumpstart this old thing, I propose a Week O' Culturally Diverse Fun (see, I'm already getting in the spirit with a nod to the Irish). Every day this week I will post the culture of my choosing, and then we will all post who is our favorite representative of that culture. It's easy. For example if I were to choose Irish Sunday, I would then post my favorite Irish person (Conan O'Brien) and explain what makes him the most awesome Irish person. Then TheMo would reply or post with, let's say Kathy Griffin and explain her reasons, and CB would say Bono and we'd all make fun of him, and everyone else puts in their two cents and fun is had trying to pinpoint who we like most in hard to-like-cultures (kidding Bono. Just kidding).

I choose to go with MEXICAN first, because it's so easy to forget the truly awesome Mexicans when people like Carlos Mencia are out there trying to represent (and as we all know now, he's Honduran, so that just makes him an ass). Also, I'd like to prove that I do not forsake this part of my culture in anyway whatsoever. How could I when we've got someone like this rad to speak for us:



SeƱor Ritchie not only brought light brown to rock n roll in the late fifties, he brought it hard. One viewing of La Bamba (starring the mutli-ethnic Lou Diamond Phillips) and you will agree, Mexicans are cool. Cool enough to die alongside Buddy Holly, and cool enough to get a bunch of gringos to sing wedding ballads from a country they thought they despised. Ritchie Valens, you deserve a chimichanga and a hug.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"then we will all post who is our favorite representative of that culture"

I am fully owning this was a poorly constructed sentence.

By the way, posted by Nay.

Anonymous said...

I lied. It's now Cultural Awareness Month. I can only come up with four cultures worth talking about.

So every week I'll post a new Culture to highlight. This way, you'll have a full week to get in your submissions of Mexican Greatness.

Anonymous said...

I'm going with Selma Hayek. I'm only 80% sure she's mexican. But what's the difference? She's mega-hot. Even Nay can back me up on this one. Thanks, Mexico. Thanks for giving us a Mexican girl that can do more than low rider magazine gigs.

TheVanBlogger said...

Me thinks Ceasar Chaves get's my vote, but on second thought he was born in Yuma so that would make him a good old American. So, I'm going to go with the guy with Juan Diego for finding Our Lady of Guadalupe. OLG is the only subject of Mexican art and who among us doesn't have a dying thirst for Mexican art complete with a nice pictoral of OLG. Way to go Juan Diego! -VG

Anonymous said...

For the record, I think you can count people born in the US. I did.

Also, Hayek makes a hot nurse, no??

Anonymous said...

I posted the Salma pictures before I read CB's comments. I second his nomination.